By Joel H. Silbey
A spouse to the Antebellum Presidents presents a sequence of unique essays exploring our old knowing of the function and legacy of the 8 U.S. presidents who served within the major interval among 1837 and the beginning of the Civil struggle in 1861.
- Explores and evaluates the evolving scholarly reception of Presidents Van Buren, Harrison, Tyler, Polk, Taylor, Fillmore, Pierce, and Buchanan, together with their roles, behaviors, triumphs, and failures
- Represents the 1st single-volume connection with assemble jointly the historiographic literature at the Antebellum Presidents
- Brings jointly unique contributions from a group of eminent historians and specialists at the American presidency
- Reveals insights into presidential management within the region century major as much as the yank Civil War
- Offers clean views into the principally forgotten males who served in the course of probably the most decisive sector centuries of usa history
Read or Download A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) PDF
Similar american history books
The Federalist, by way of Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay, constitutes a textual content primary to the yank political culture. released in newspapers in 1787 and 1788 to give an explanation for and advertise ratification of the proposed structure for the U.S., which as much as then have been sure by way of the Articles of Confederation, The Federalist continues to be at the present time of singular value to scholars of liberty world wide.
Lemon Grove dates to 1892 whilst it first seemed within the San Diego County files as "Lemon Grove. " The tiny, whistle-stop city emerged in the course of the "second gold rush," the increase of California's citrus undefined, which used to be facilitated by means of the 1849 Gold Rush, the get a divorce of the Mexican ranchos in Alta California, and the appearance of statehood for California in 1850.
Over dawn and sundown, the Sneads Ferry high-rise bridge complements the panoramic view of the old fashioned fishing and farming neighborhood. Encapsulated through the pine forests and the recent River, households from England, Scotland, and different parts in Europe stumbled on passage and safe haven during this region. males sailed and rowed boats alongside the banks and toiled at the sea.
The biography of 1 of the heroes of the battle of Independence, John Gunby was once an American planter and soldier from Maryland as is usually referred to as the best soldier Maryland despatched to struggle. a wonderful learn for any fan of yankee history.
Additional info for A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History)
A Companion to the Antebellum Presidents 1837-1861 (Wiley Blackwell Companions to American History) by Joel H. Silbey